With the holidays swiftly approaching, lights are up, the city’s holiday trees will soon all be lit, and it’s the perfect time to get a jumpstart on holiday shopping. What better place to do so than one of D.C.’s own holiday markets?! Get your holiday spirit on while supporting local vendors and, of course, sipping on some delicious festive beverages while you’re at it!
So, without further ado, here’s a list of the best winter markets across the D.C. area and when they’re open:
Downtown Holiday Market
D.C.’s stunning seasonal outdoor market is returning from Nov. 18-Dec. 23! Held outdoors over the course of two blocks— F Street NW, from 7th to 9th Streets NW—the Downtown Holiday Market gives Washingtonians the opportunity to patronize a number of local small businesses while they complete their holiday shopping! Feeling a little cold and hungry? A number of outdoor food and drink vendors are also on-site so you can sip hot chocolate or snack on an empanada as you shop!
- Where: F Street NW, from 7th to 9th Streets NW
- When: Daily (Nov. 18- Dec. 23) from 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
D.C. Holiday Lights
Go on a scavenger hunt throughout the city for your favorite holiday light display and check out some of D.C.’s awesome local vendors!
- Where: Multiple D.C. neighborhoods, including Logan Circle, Georgetown, Cleveland Park, and Columbia Heights, among others
- When: Hours vary depending on the neighborhood and stores so make sure to check the D.C. Holiday Lights website
Holidays at the Harbor—National Harbor
National Harbor kicked off the holiday spirit on Tuesday, Nov. 15, lighting its Christmas tree to kick off its Holidays at the Harbor series. It was the inaugural lighting for National Harbor’s new 60-ft. RGB tree, which now will illuminate the evening skies each night through Saturday, Dec. 31—every 30 minutes from sunset to 9 p.m.—alongside the sounds of a “holiday medley performed by the United States Air Force Band.” But the holiday festivities don’t stop there! Holidays at the Harbor also features a number of festive activities suitable for all ages: Festive Fireworks every Saturday night through Dec. 17, the winter wonderland of ICE! at Gaylord National, holiday shopping at the Tanger Outlets, and more!
- Where: National Harbor- Oxon Hill, Maryland
- When: Daily- Hours vary depending on individual stores so make sure to check the National Harbor website
Enchant at Nationals Park
Enchant at Nationals Park is true Winter Wonderland! Held from Nov. 25, 2022-Jan. 1, 2023), Enchant whisks you away with twinkling light tunnels, a Christmas Light Maze, ice skating, a Santa meet-and-greet, a holiday market so you can shop for your loved ones this holiday season, and so much more!
- Where: Nationals Park, 1500 S Capitol St SE
- When: Nov. 25 through Jan. 1
The holiday season is descending upon the District—and CityCenterDC is helping kick it off with its ninth annual Holiday Tree Lighting on Saturday, Nov. 26! Days after Thanksgiving, as Washingtonians begin to swap out their autumn ornamentation for winter decorations, CityCenterDC will be helping the transition as it alights its 75-ft. tree, complete with more than 150,000 lights and 4,500 ornaments. You can take in the dazzling sight while shopping at some of CityCenterDC’s fantastic stores!
- Where: CityCenterDC, 10th & H St NW
- When: Daily- Hours vary depending on individual stores so make sure to check the CityCenterDC website
Nall’s Winter Market at Union Market
Tour Union Market’s festive Nall’s Winter Market for holiday decor and some unique finds from local vendors!
- Where: Union Market
- When: Friday through Sunday (Nov. 25-Dec. 18) from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Article written by Ma Del Rosario Castro Diaz and Jenna Romaine