All Kennedy Center performances through April 2021 are now canceled.
On Wednesday, November 18, the Kennedy Center announced it would be canceling all full-capacity programs through April 25, 2021, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
“It is with heavy hearts that we share this news,” said organizers in a press release. “Your health is our priority, but we miss you in our theaters and sharing the joy of the live performing arts together.”
In addition to the 20 performances that were intended for small audiences all major indoor concerts, performances and national touring shows have been canceled or postponed for the time being. These include Jesus Christ Superstar, Dear Evan Hansen, Oklahoma! and The Band’s Visit as well as the Hamilton production, which was originally set to open during the summer.
The Washington National Opera productions of Blue and La Boheme originally scheduled for March and May are also canceled.
Almost 400 the arts center announced in a press release. So far the center has lost over $70 million in income due to the cancelation of its 2020-2021 season.
Kennedy Center also announced the launching of its digital platform Stage+ where subscribers, Members and donors will have access to premium content featuring new concerts and performances as well as full-length or never-before-seen events from their archive.
“Despite substantial expense and staff reductions, the institution’s only path forward is a strategic focus on increasing contributions from our donors and patrons while we wait to re-open,” said Kennedy Center President Deborah F. Rutter. “Their generosity and patience over the last eight months have made all the difference and kept us strong.”
[Featured image: Facebook/ Kennedy Center]