The final weekend of August is upon us, but the good times will continue to roll on. To send the month off with a bang, we’ve compiled the best things happening across D.C. this weekend:
Celebrate with your favorite pup(s) for National Dog Day
Friday, Aug. 26 deserves a round of app-paws for all the good boys and best girls on National Dog Day! Luckily, there are plenty of ways to celebrate with your furry friends in D.C.:
- Go to a pup-friendly bar together!
- District Dogs in Northwest is hosting a heat-beating Summer Splash Pawty from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Bethesda’s Bark Social will be offering a special dessert buffet—pupcakes, puppy ice cream, doggy donuts, pupsicles—at their National Dog Day party, from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Register your dog here!
Catch a concert at your favorite local venue
August may be ending but there’s still time to see your favorite artists perform at local venues! Here’s who’s in town this weekend:
Get some group-motivated exercise
Sometimes, you just need some group motivation to push yourself in your workouts. Thankfully, Washingtonians have your back! Here are some free group workouts happening this weekend across D.C.:
- Join REI and D.C. Bike Ride in NoMa for a cruise to celebrate Women’s Equality Day (Saturday).
- Grab your pup and meetup in Georgetown for the Outdoor Voices Dog Jog (Sunday).
- Get your downward dog on in Georgetown for group Outdoor Voices Yoga (Sunday).
The Washington Nationals have home games Friday through Sunday as they take on the Cincinnati Reds. A hot dog, some peanuts, and cheering on the home team is a classic summer activity that never fails to be fun — win or lose!
See this exhibit before it’s gone
It’s the last weekend to catch the haunting and poignant exhibit Intersections: Marta Perez Garcia at The Phillips Collection. Composed of 19 headless female torsos, Garcia’s work was crafted to spark discussion surrounding the uptick in occurrences of domestic violence amid the pandemic and to highlight human “fragility and vulnerability to strength and survival.”
On Saturday, Aug. 27 at 10 a.m., Reading Partners D.C. will be hosting skateboarder and author Yuri Cruz (“Kickflips and Chill”) for a meet-and-greet, as it encourages locals and youth to find out how they can volunteer for the organization this school year and help foster a love of reading. The event will also feature a skateboarding demo by The D.C. Wheels, as well as a free slice of pizza from Timber Pizza or ice cream from Mimi’s Handmade Ice Cream!