Need some new weekend plans? In town for a little while?
Being the nation’s capital, DC has everything and anything! Unlimited restaurants, events, arts, museums, theaters, parks, to discover. But if you need to refine your weekend plans, or if you are visiting and want a not-too-touristy list of things to do while still seeing the sights, OR have friends coming into town and want to show them around, these suggestions by our DC followers provide the perfect ideas!
We asked our followers on Instagram and Facebook what they would tell someone who asked them the best way to spend 24 hours in DC, and they came through with some excellent ideas. Check them out below, and you can read the original post here for even more ideas.
1. “Take a water taxi and hit 3 waterfronts (The Wharf, National Harbor, Alexandria)”
2. “In the National Gallery and Dumbarton Oaks. Pack a bag lunch, bathe your soul in the art, walk through all the stunning gardens, and fall asleep peacefully at night, knowing that you’ve taken in as much beauty as the senses can bear (while also dodging 90% of all the tourists). “
3. “Washington monument in morn, Capitol tour until lunchtime, Arlington cemetery highlights after lunch, and scooter or night tour of the mall and White House, finish with a rooftop bar or outdoor bar. Museums/zoos if you have another day or already seen the main staples.”
4. “Monuments and then Pearl Dive Oyster bar on 14th”
5. “Walking, museum seeing, eating various ethnic foods in different neighborhoods, riding the Metro to Arlington National Cemetary, 24 hours is not enough”
6. “African-American Museum; Capitol; Tour Howard U Campus and the Shaw District; Walk across the new Frederick Douglass Bridge and tour Frederick Douglass’ home.”
7. “Monuments at sunset for sure!”
8. “Old town, Georgetown and then walk the National Mall at dusk!”
9. “Watch the golden sunrise by Lincoln memorial, breakfast in Georgetown, boat to the wharf for kayaking, walk to Navy yard for lunch & finish by walking to the capitol to enjoy sunset/night view…”
10. “Brunch, museums, popup shops, seafood, cocktails & wind down at a lounge or your hotel.”
11. “Day date at the National Zoo! 🐼 Dinner date in Chinatown.”
12. “Georgetown, Adam’s Morgan, the Wharf & U-street (in that order)”
13. “National mall, Georgetown, U Street, Adams Morgan”
14. “Walk Lincoln To The Capitol building. If you like buildings like I do, walk and take it in. Visit Navy yard, old town, Embassy row.”
15. “Georgetown, Exorcist stairs, up M Street to Wisconsin Ave, do some shopping, stop by Holy Rood cemetery on your way to the National Cathedral. Walk around and enjoy the scenery, be mesmerized by the stained glass inside the cathedral. Explore and enjoy!”
16. “Monuments, museums. Old Ebbitt Grill, scooters around town.”
[Featured image: @raresoup / Instagram]