Cool off with a cone of America’s best ice cream right here in the DMV. USA Today readers recently selected the “10 best indie ice cream shops across the US,” and Island Creamery ranked number 1!
The list is part of USA Today’s 10 Best Readers’ Choice Awards for 2023 in which a panel of food and travel experts curate a list of 20 nominees nationwide. The nominees are then presented to USA Today readers who then vote for the 10 best.
With unique flavors and freshly churned small batches, we’re not surprised that Island Creamery came out as the cherry on top of all the other ice cream shops! USA Today wrote of the DMV ice cream shop:
Churning an all-natural premium ice cream mix from local cows, Island Creamery’s flavors are inspired by local fruit farmers. Some of the most popular homemade small-batch treats include Bourbon Caramel Crunch, Java Jolt, super rich double chocolate Marsh Mud and Cotton Candy Party.
The full list of winners:
- Island Creamery-Virginia and Maryland
- An’s Dry Cleaning – San Diego, CA
- Simply Natural Creamery – North Carolina locations
- Andia’s Ice Cream – Cary, North Carolina
- Coneflower Creamery – Omaha, Nebraska
- Owowcow Creamery – New Jersey and Pennsylvania
- Beaufort Creamery – Beaufort, North Carolina
- Two Roosters – North Carolina locations
- Sassy Cow Creamery – Columbus, Wisconsin
- Clementine’s Creamery – Missouri locations
What’s scoopin’ at Island Creamery
Some of our favorite Island Creamery flavors include Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Cantaloupe, and Cake Batter. They also have innovative flavors such as Wallops Rocket Fuel; the equivalent of a Mexican hot chocolate in the form of ice cream.